In July 1947, preceeding by an introduction by Col WC Devereux (founder and first chairman), Fulmer Research Institute was officially opened by the then President of the Board of Trade, Sir Stafford Cripps, in front of a large company of friends and guests gathered on the croquet lawn.  At that time the main laboratories, the library and the administrative offices were housed in the converted Edwardian country house.During the afternoon Sir Stafford Cripps, together with a large number of visiting industrialists and local dignatories, were shown around the Institute, meeting Mr EAG Liddiard, director of research, and many of the staff.

Main Building

Metallography with Bausch and Lomb apparatus- housed in the main building

Spectrographic Laboratory- housed in the main building

Mechanical Testing Laboratory with fatigue and impact testing machines- housed in the main building

Mechanical Testing Laboratory with tensile and hardness testing machines- housed in the main building

Machine Shop- housed in the newly constructed foundry building